Stock Picks for 2010

More
13 years 10 months ago #4177 by Dongdaemun
Replied by Dongdaemun on topic Re:Stock Picks for 2010
Holy cow! The U.S. and European stocks are on a run. Who would have expected that just 3 weeks ago???? Up for a sixth day, commodities rallied.... Standard & Poor’s 500 Index rose 1.5 percent to 1,095.34 ...Stoxx Europe 600 Index surged 1.9 percent. Straits Times Index today gonna climb a mountain?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6266 by yeng
Replied by yeng on topic Re:Re:Stock Picks for 2010
It's coming to a year now since July 2010.
hahaha... reading the postings below show how incredibly crooked a line the market has taken. No straight path based on any expert's projection // advice based on the events of the day. Who knows where the market is going in 2H2011.

More
11 years 3 months ago #13301 by josephyeo
In the "Stock Picks for 2010" I selected 2 stocks .. SMB n Eastern Asia Technology.
Coincidentally (?) both stocks were taken private.
I recently did postings for Kian Ann, Foreland n Swing Media. Again Kian Ann was taken private whereas Foreland n Swing Media had a good run. Have reduced my position for Swing Media but still holding a fairly substantial position whereas the storyline for Foreland seems to have changed and I had decided to clear my position. May look into it again after they release their result.
My latest post was "Why I like Excelpoint".
Just to share .. I am basically a value investor. I try to look for stocks which are undervalued and take position. Most undervalued stocks are unfortunately illiquid w very low interest from the investment community. But thru my experience if the value stays the undervalued stocks will eventually be discovered and there would be a good run on the stocks.
As seen from above, almost all the stocks I bought were illiquid at the point of entry but were subsequently discover and became fairly hot stocks.
To invest in undervalued stocks, one needs patience, faith and believing in what one do. And not be distracted by momentum traders/punters who short loud and are very short termed. They may have their ways n maybe very successful in their trading but not many are make for it. Indeed there was a survey some years back n the conclusion was that most traders lost money.
My waiting time for a stock can be anything from 6 months to 3 years. Over the years it has served me well. Guess I am blessed.
Above is just to share and to encourage each to have his/her own strategy in investing. Find out what u know best n is most comfortable with and go after it. If u have a strategy you are likely to be successful in the long term.
Blessings n peace to all!!!

[hr]
[josephyeo 20-12-2009]:
SMB United Holding and Eastern Asia Tcehnology. SMB for it\'s low valuation n potential future growth and high dividend yield. It has a cash holding of $50mil+ or more than 10cts per share. Eastern Asia Technology ( Eastech) as a turnaround company. Company was restructured in the last 3 years and in the last 4 quarters company was profitable at the operation level. Believe profit will continue to grow.

More
11 years 3 months ago #13312 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Re:Re:Stock Picks for 2010
I will look out for your next few stock highlights, Joseph! Thanks in advance.

More
11 years 1 month ago #13656 by zane
Replied by zane on topic Re:Re:Stock Picks for 2010
Josephy: Are you still holding Excelpoint? And Foreland? Foreland looks interesting .....

More
11 years 1 month ago #13659 by josephyeo
Hi Sana n Reck,

I have unloaded my Forland Holding after the storyline changed as mentioned in one of my postings, but i am still including it my watchlist. Actually the last quarter result was not as bad as i thought. Quite likely i will take up a position when the price is right and macro environment is more stable.

Fyi _ As a norm i normally start to reduce my position in all counters when i feel that the market is likely to run out of steam. Most of the time i re-enter the market in end May when the market is quieter. That's when they say 'sell in May and go away'. Yup, that the time when i pick up some stocks. I will enter in a much bigger way in end oct to nov. bcoz in most years the index in the following feb is higher than in oct/nov, like what happen this year.

About Excelpoint .. i sold half my holding when the market was going crazy in jan n early feb. My holding is still substantial and yesterday when there was a big selldown for reasons i don't inderstand, i was one of the main buyers. I like the storyline .. improving bottom n top lines, excellent dividend of close to 10%, positive management comment (management sounds quite bullish) n it's absolute low price, though there are comments that the margin is too low. For a company to be able to do a revenue of $700+ millions is no mean feat. It should be valued higher. Further, its a singapore company.

Hope i have answered your question.
All the best to you!!!

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds