2011 -- A repeat of 2010 market ?

More
13 years 2 months ago #5983 by MacGyver
2011 is shaping up to resemble 2010.
Back in 2010, the market was extremely negative in the first half with the European's debt problems unresolved.
The market however, took a turn for the better going into the 3Q when US economy rebounded and the market sentiments across the globe recovers.
Will 2011 be similar?
I have previously caution all forummers that 2011 is a year of inflationary problems. Rising raw materials costs will eat into the profit of the Companies, where or not they can raise the ASP.
Add into the problems of Japan natural disasters and the PRC government credit tightening, I believe 2011 may be more tough than 2010.
Having said that, I believe there are still several market gems to be discovered.
I will be going on a trip to China for 3 weeks to explore some hidden gems, recommended by several brokers' friends. Hope to bring back some ideas for all to share.
In the meantime, be happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6003 by yeng
Market has been dead for the past few weeks/months, but the sentiment is turning bullish, IMHO.
Good stocks will be the first batch to take off, certainly.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6011 by MacGyver
Hi Yeh,
You are right. Sentiments have started to improve and I am getting more positive on the turn. The fund managers are starting to realise that there is no end to the PRC credit tightening and the Japanese tsunami impact has more or less been factored into the stock markets.
The market looks ripe for picking now.
Which is why I intend to focus on a few good S-chips and growth SG stocks in the coming weeks.
I have been preparing bullets since CNY and looks ready to start loading up.
Best of luck to all.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #6030 by Dongdaemun
There's going to be turbulence for some time. :-(

SINGAPORE, May 23 (Reuters) - Singapore shares fell 1.4 percent by midday on Monday,
following the regional trend as markets were weighed down by worries that Greece's
debt problems could hurt the global economic recovery.

Shares of Neptune Orient Lines were a big index loser on concerns a slowdown in
economic activity could affect demand for container shipping.

NOL fell 2.7 percent to S$1.83 by the lunch break, underperforming the Straits Times
Index , which fell 43.33 points at 3,125.21. The total value of shares traded in the
morning session was S$861.1 million, up from S$785.3 million on Friday.

"The STI is down largely due to concerns over the Europe sovereign crisis and rating
agencies putting up cautious notes on the troubled debtor nations," said Ng Kian
Teck, an analyst at SIAS Research.

He said he expects the STI to find support at 3,100 in the afternoon.

Fitch Ratings cut Greece's debt ratings by three notches on Friday, pushing the
country deeper into junk, while rival Standard & Poor's cut its outlook for
Italy to "negative" from "stable" on Saturday.

"U.S. leading indicators turned down last Thursday and this may exert more downward
pressure on the markets for this week," said Ng.

Shares of Chinese shipbuilder COSCO fell as much as 3.5 percent to S$1.96 after a
news report said some irregularities were found in the 2009 financial statements of
17 Chinese state-owned enterprises.

China's National Audit Office audited the financial statements of 17 SOEs, including
COSCO's Chinese parent, and found several irregularities and disciplinary
violations, Xinhua news agency said in a report dated late Friday.

Palm oil firm Indofood Agri Resources plunged 13.2 percent to S$1.77 on concerns
that its unit PT SIMP's initial public offering could dilute its
earnings per share.

"The IPO could pose downside risks to our IFAR earnings estimates through potential
EPS dilution, as well as possible holding company discount once its main operating
asset is listed separately," said Goldman Sachs in a report. (Reporting by Charmian
Kok; Editing by

Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Dongdaemun.

• cheongwee.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #6031 by cheongwee.
Replied by cheongwee. on topic Re:Re:2011 -- A repeat of 2010 market ?
So now, there is no difference,with the mkt going opposite to your forcast, you still can buy cheaper.
But will it get cheaper into June??? you say?
[hr]
[MacGyver 21-05-2011]:

Hi Yeh,
You are right. Sentiments have started to improve and I am getting more positive on the turn. The fund managers are starting to realise that there is no end to the PRC credit tightening and the Japanese tsunami impact has more or less been factored into the stock markets.
The market looks ripe for picking now.
Which is why I intend to focus on a few good S-chips and growth SG stocks in the coming weeks.
I have been preparing bullets since CNY and looks ready to start loading up.
Best of luck to all.

More
13 years 1 month ago #6032 by MacGyver
Dear Mr Cheongwee,
Nothing has changed regarding my opinion.
I am not as smart as you. You can make money from your clever trading strategies. I make peanuts from hours of learning.
I believe the market has started to show some positive sentiments. It will be gradual but certainly better than what it was in March to May. During March and April, fund managers are not so keen on IPOs and placements. But today, my banker told me that MGM China has been oversubscribed tremendously. And this is not a small IPO.
I am currently in Xiamen, enjoying my coffee in Marco Polo Hotel while reading your post. I am taking my own sweet time to know a few companies better, so that I can start to buy them after I have done my homeworks. Names like Qingmei have never crossed my mind before. It is a good time to learn more.
Inflation in Xiamen is not as bad as it was reported in the media. I still see consumers along their main "Orchard Road" this afternoon. Business still looks good.
Let's listen to what Mr Market got to say in the coming months.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds