Retiring at 35 with $1 m cash in hand

• cheongwee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9687 by cheongwee
Replied by cheongwee on topic Re:Re:Retiring at 35 with $1 m cash in hand
Yes Sir, my apology , but you want proof , you can e-mail me at victortancheongwee@yahoo.com.sg
anybody interested, i will invite him to my office, i can show you all what you want to see.
But after that you must do some meaing work for me. I can't simply do that for nothing.
I have you sign an undertaking, but if on the contrary i can't then i will do what you want me to do.
All my trade to date, cannot be bluff. form securities.
Your take, Your turn now.
[hr]
[MacGyver 26-06-2012]:

Dear cheongwee,
This is a virtual forum. In the virtual world, you can be anybody or say anything. Nobody knows.
Just that your postings are done without solid facts and evidence supporting them. It leaves doubts in the minds of many whether you have actually done it and / or what are your strategy in doing such successful executions.
Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cheongwee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9688 by cheongwee
Replied by cheongwee on topic Re:Retiring at 35 with $1 m cash in hand
By the way, have you ever though of retirng to other countries, why must we stay here till death.
Country like Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, i believe your HDB flat and CPF will be much more than enough to retire there like a king.
if say your CPF and saving together with your HDB flat, i think you can easilyworth 1.5 m ringgit in Malaysia, enoug to retire very comfortably and there offer a serence life style.
what say you? but ppl say the place not safe. I have relative in Malacca, it is a nice place,
can consider.

• Gutsy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9716 by Gutsy
Replied by Gutsy on topic Re:Retiring at 35 with $1 m cash in hand
gutman at valuebuddies.com has a good personal story to share, as follows:

I read with interest the ongoing discussion on this topic. I realized there are many forummers here who have walked this similar path just as I did as some of the issues and experiences discussed are so similar to my own. I would like to share my story here. Hope it doesn't sound long winded (I am after all, in my mid forties)

I retired from the corporate world at the age of 40 a few years back after accumulating more than a million dollar. I have no debt, own a fully paid apartment and a Jap car.

The initial days after retirement, I was a little lost (just like what Jared Seah felt). There were no longer people asking me for decisions, no more boss telling you if you are good (or no good), no more shedules or deadlines, no more business and execution plans, no more deals to close, no more jetting around and no more media or institutional funds contacting me for information. I did lose most of my network and contacts (exactly what mrEngineer said) and relied mainly on the internet for information (like what KopiKat did).

I became a full time retail investor.

I went through the 2007 crisis with much pain after losing about 500K on paper but was fortunate to have recovered since (I mentioned in one of my earlier posting). I was certainly humbled by that crisis and can understand what wsreader mentioned on Michael Lewis's article about luck. I did have some luck, both before retiring and certaily after the crisis. Before the crisis, just like most people who have made their fortune in the bull market then, I thought I knew a thing or two about investment. If you asked me again today, I will tell you it is a lot of hardwork and yes, luck.

After spending these few years doing full time retail investing and managing my own money, I can concur with what sgd said, that it is not easy, especially in the current market. You can have all the fundamentals or numbers right, but you can get the sentiments or timing wrong. Or you can get all these right, but your greed or fear just prey on you.

I did most of my research via the internet, just like what KopiKat said. There are just tonnes of information, if only you spent your time and effort to find. And from forums like this, I learned from many here: Musicwhiz, Temperament, shanrui_91, D.O.G, etc etc, just to name a few.

I can also relate to what mrEngineer said about losing your network and contact once you retire, and may not have access to the real story or the management of a company. What I do about this is, I tried attending AGMs whenever I can, and talked to the CEOs. I also make an effort to keep in touch with a lot of my past contacts and colleagues, buying them lunch or coffee every now and then, and exchange some informations.

I do have more time with family and friends. Recently, I was able to spend more time visiting and chatting with both my 70+ years old parents, and realised there are many things I do not know about them. I was glad to learn about their own little stories. I also spend more time exploring our own little city, Singapore, and found many interesting places, where I never knew existed. I am also planning to do more travelling with my wife, and there will be no more business meetings during these trips.

But somehow I guess whichever route one chooses, you gain some, you lose some.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9719 by Guest
Well said, Gutsy. Somehow, I had a similar experience as you. We will survive and made the best of what we have. May you be blessed with good luck and good health always. Cheers.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9720 by Guest
Well said, Gutsy. Somehow, I had a similar experience as you. We will survive and made the best of what we have. May you be blessed with good luck and good health always. Cheers.

• cheongwee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9721 by cheongwee
Replied by cheongwee on topic Re:Retiring at 35 with $1 m cash in hand
Someone call me a professional gambler in one post, well call me whatever i am not angry, In fact, life is a big gamble. But if you gamble with common sense, then you can call it a nicer name, speculating, and even nicer name if you think you have do alot of diligence, you start to call yourself a value invester.

And someone told me, i am glad that i have double my investment to date,  But i am telling you that you will soon see your value go down by more than half, likely in 2013, I could be wrong, but unlikely.

Why people said i lost so much, is that they stay stubbornly, refuse to cut loss, saying that my porfolio are ok all blue chips, it will come back. But why not sell first and buy back later cheaper and profit even more, than stay and watch your value go down day to day and heart break. Blue chip or what all go under water in a crises.

If you do have a cut losss, you can only lost so much, but never 500K. Everything in life must also have a stop loss. Even in relationship. If you and your spouse truthly cannot get along, quarrelling everyday and after trying to patch thing up till come to nothing, you better divorce, insist of ending killing one another. I have one friend, said but i love her, But sometime to love a person is to leave her alone, if the fault is with us, and we most likely cannot see them.

Some ask, should i clear all my account, i think they did not read some of my post. I said rally till Q4 or end Oct. So on the safe side i will be looking out and suggest a selling on all vestment by then.

I think i will not go all over, and stay in my own thread to prevent misunderstanding. I am by no mean a gambler, I am a prudent trader. I dont stay in for shark to eat me to the bone, and then wait for years for it to heal.

come follow me in my thread, i m sure u be glad.

And if you do not know what to do, and is bore with life, contact me

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds