Why i increase my cash holdings

• Johnny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9742 by Johnny
Replied by Johnny on topic Re:Why i increase my cash holdings
Asian stocks sprang up.....European stocks are running.

Life in the stock market is always full of surprises when you least expect them. That's why predictions by Cheongwee and any others are taken lightly by me. Who really knows the future of the market?

I just buy and hold what I luv.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cheongwee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9743 by cheongwee
Replied by cheongwee on topic Re:Why i increase my cash holdings
Johny is right, no doubt about it. But what if you are wrong??? You got lot more to lose.
Look , i do not encoursge selling till Q4, let me make myself clear, because i am always bullish till Q4 or earlier Oct(see my previous posting)., in fact, on the contrary, i encourage people to buy and long now and hold till Q4 to sell,,I am only bearish come 2013.or touch wood come ealry October.(not likely)
So what if cheongwee is wrong??? I said only when your long vestment go down 20% , then you do the stop loss, if it can go down 20% that will be a crash,no longer can classified as correction, am i right??? If it go down 20% then sell with confident.
But what if i am right??? your stock got more to go down, as we saw in 2008/9, You see if you have not got a stop loss then, within days it drop a stone, such that 3 days later, you sell also meaningless, no point selling, since it have gone more down 50%!!!.
You know if it drop 50%, it take 100% increase to break even, if it go down 20%( my suggested cut loss) u only need a 25% increase to break even. A 100% take a long time to come because of extreme pessimism in the market. But a 25% is easier to realise when market turn up.
But u said my counter are blues, so what? blues or white , all will be black as fund bailout, redemption take place, pessimism rule, who care blue or white. U don;t sell, other sell, forcing the price lower.
Nobody can tell the future, you are right on, that is why it is even more important to have a stop loss to protect yourself.
Stop loss is just like an insurance, you bought insurance to protect yourself, not because you want an accident to happen, so u can make a claim , right?
Likewise, is a stop loss, it is to protect your investment.
You go tour, u bought travel insurance, that is correct, So u bought share, u must have an insurance also, and that insurance is a 20% stop loss, for your long.
Take action only when vestment go down 20%, and fast, do not hestitate.
But many again will hope again hope and hold till cow come home, and too late. Always the case, because , ppl said i dont want to loss, paper loss is better than realise the loss.
You are wrong, a loss is a loss, irrespective of whether paper or real, both are real losses.
Ppl think stop loss, is loss, because it have a word there "loss"
It is not a real loss, it is just a withdraw to the side to live another and fight another day, if your capital is withhold by market, then when opportunity come, you got no much fund to buy cheap
It is like the enemy is too strong, we retreat first, then recuperate strongly and then fight again, when opportunity arise,insist of staying and fight a lossing battle that end up tragic and sad.
Look at the Vietcong, this is how they won the war against the mighty American. Retreat and attack,
I am on guerilla mode, hope you are, we can overcome this mighty market and win.
May all be well, and happy. I wish you well. Hope there are no offence, here.

• cheongwee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #9744 by cheongwee
Replied by cheongwee on topic Re:Why i increase my cash holdings
Be greedy when people are fearful & be fearful when everyone is greedy.
You hear this famous saying , it is from WB.
But when to be greedy, and when to be fearful?
It is about timing the market, but to time market is not so difficult, because we can make simple observation roughly when ,we can never buy at the very bottom, but we can be sure we buy at one of the low will be good enough.
Likewise, no one can sell at the top,
It is the emotion that is difficult to make a buy, when everything is so pessimistic at the bottom.
Because you think tomorrow will be even cheaper.
can you tell a few sign that market are near bottom,??
I dont need to elaborate here, most likely u know, like stop loss, but it is the same things that is the real obstacle.
The word is "EMOTION", try to be less emotional is the trick.
it is this thing that make us fail when the time come.
Sound simple but hard to put to practice.
but only if you try.It work

More
11 years 5 months ago #13049 by Val
Hey 'abb" -- 7 months ago you wrote ... My targets include HIAP HOE (51 C), WORLD PRECISION (49 C), TECHNICS O&G (88 C), DUTY FREE INTENATIONAL (33 C).

Cool. the stocks are up nicely, except for World Precision, still slightly below yr 49 cent buy price.  U still holding all of them?  I have 1 overlap with yrs -- Hiap Hoe, which I bought at 47 cents. Holding for more than a year and now seeing 64 cents. I am kind of rational and refuse to let it go yet because the RNAV is around $1.30. No harm just holding it as the 2 hotels at Zhongshan Park are now up. New recurring revenue for Hiap Hoe, and who knows maybe they can be sold at a big profit. 
[hr]
[abb 24-05-2012]:

relaxing -- You talked about 'slowly accumulating'. Sounds like my neighbour this morning --- first thing he said was, "hey opportunity to buy hor? stocks look cheap."

Kevin Scully also said the same thing last Friday >> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Stocks as an asset class based on current earnings forecasts are cheap with many stock markets trading near the low end of their trading range......

Bottom line, no need to panic when markets fall - view it as a buying opportunity - take the time now to identify which stocks and what levels you want to BUY and wait patiently.
My gut feel is that investors who have lived through the last 4 or 5 years at least, now recognise that crashes are the time to buy. Get ready your bullets! Choose your targets well!

My targets include HIAP HOE (51 C), WORLD PRECISION (49 C), TECHNICS O&G (88 C), DUTY FREE INTENATIONAL (33 C).

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds