KSH

More
6 years 10 months ago #23807 by sumer
KSH was created by sumer
KSH's share price surge recently is worth noting. After staying stagnant for a full year around 54ct, news about China's third SEZ-like township near Beijing which led to feverish rise in property prices in its vicinity has given the stock the fillip it needed to break out of that price stagnation.

Below is a quick analysis of KSH's Gaobeidian (GBD) story:

As GBD was set out to be a 10-year project, it’s hard to accurately predict its earnings on a year-to-year basis. But if we just look at the overall figures, and make some reasonable assumptions, we see that if the project is fully completed without too many glitches, it will give much visibility to KSH over the next 10 years. This visibility is rather positive, especially among Sg developers which can’t clinch land in Singapore for development.

Based on a moderately optimistic view that 48,000 units of residential units in GBD will be built and sold in total, each unit of size 110 sq m (which was the original size of the first phase launch), an ASP (average selling price) of RMB14,000 psm (price is spread over 10 years, from as low as RMB10-12,000 psm in initial years to closer to RMB18,000 psm in later years), an ACP (average cost price, which includes land, construction, marketing, etc but exclude land value tax) of RMB5,000 psm (initially as low as RMB3,000), a 35% land value tax (this is an estimated rate which applies to land value that has surged over 100%), a 25% corporate tax rate, below is a simplistic estimate of the whole site’s earnings potential (based solely on residential units):

Net earnings: 48,000 x 110 x ((RMB14,000-5,000)*.65)*75 = RMB23.166 billion, or S$4.633 billion.

KSH’s share of 22.5% is S$1.042 billion, spread over 10 years. That works out to $2.34 per share, which on average means more than 20ct per year. (Note that this is not far off from UOBKH’s analyst report of S$368m for Stage 1 alone (1.9m sq m out of 5.3m sq m total land size), which implies S$1.0265b for Stage 1 + 2, based on extrapolation).

I have not taken into consideration the time value of money as well as assuming a fully sold scenario, but these can probably be offset by the fact that I have also not taken into consideration the commercial space that will be built and sold. If I am correct, Stage 1 will see 800,000 sq m of amenities and commercial space, some of which will be handed over to the government but the rest would be for sale/investment.

Note also that I am assuming the land is fully paid for (KSH's share is only S$23m) and there is no further compensation to farmers to relocate, and that construction costs for facilities and infrastructure to be handed over free to the government as part of the deal would be covered by profits from the commercial space. Also, very little if any capex is required for the residential units as buyers pay 30% down payment, which is enough to cover construction cost.

Apart from this GBD venture, KSH has yet to recognize about S$200m worth of its share of sold properties, has shares in Aussie and UK ventures, a construction arm and some investment properties. These projects will help it sustain a 3.5-4ct dividend these 2 years before GBD's earnings kick in.

While the above are the rosy quantitative figures, it’s actually the qualitative aspects of KSH that seal the deal for me. By this I mean the mgt and major shareholders’ acumen, humility and generosity. These are proven by the many years of consistent high dividend payouts and the humility and listening ears shown at AGMs.

Note also that KSH is majorly owned by 4 friends, with 19.43%, 14.5%, 14.5% and 12.18% stakes (total 60.6%) respectively. Compared to companies owned tightly by one family, it may be more rewarding for these friends to share the profits of the company through dividend payouts and bonus issues, and by doing so, benefit minority shareholders.

Few prop stocks trade above NAV, and KSH is one of them. KSH's prospects at GBD and its generosity and acumen are definitely reasons for this phenomena.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kayaroti, mervynsim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #23831 by sumer
Replied by sumer on topic KSH
KSH proposed a 1 for 4 bonus issue and Final DPS of 2ct on Friday after market close. The bonus issue was a surprise and is yet another demonstration of the major shareholders’ understanding of how investors perceive a company’s stock. It’s not the bonus issue per se that investors like myself will be happy about but the comfort we get knowing that the major owners are doing the right thing, time and again. This warrants a premium valuation for KSH against other developers whose interests are not aligned with those of their minority shareholders, and whose promises to “look into” shareholders’ pleas during AGMs are broken the moment the AGMs end. Indeed, KSH’s recent price movement is testament to this phenomenon.

Meanwhile KSH is in a consortium that is paying $575m (plus a differential premium of about $208m) for Rio Casa, taking a joint-leading stake of 35%. Land size is 396,230 sq ft while GFA is 1,109,443 sq ft. Adding a 10% balcony space gives the site a possible NSA of 1.22m sq ft and a price (based on NSA) of $642psf ppr. I expect breakeven at about $1,000 psf, and an ASP of about $1,100 psf, giving the site a slim margin of $100psf and a gross profit of about $122m. KSH’s stake will yield about $42m.

With Rio Casa being an en bloc site, completion of purchase could take longer and sale could be launched perhaps in 2019 or later, by which time the property market could be more bullish (or bearish?). My estimates above are therefore subject to changes.

Intense competition for Govt Land Sale sites means that smaller developers have to turn to en bloc sites for land, and indeed KSH has done so. Meanwhile, the consortium could also award the building works to KSH and give the company’s construction arm a boost.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by sumer.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #24104 by sumer
Replied by sumer on topic KSH
CES has had a good run recently, with KSH catching up yesterday. Both are core stocks in my portfolio.

An article in Edge mag over last weekend features Oxley’s boss Ching giving some figures on its GaoBeidian jv with KSH, Heeton and Lian Beng.

What’s interesting is that if we extrapolate the figures given by him on expected revenue and profits (not clear if it’s gross or net), then we can derive the figures attributable to the other 3 partners – and the figures look glossy.

Ching said that Oxley could make as much as US$1 billion from GBD. If he is right, then KSH’s, Lian Beng’s and Heeton’s shares are S$1.1 billion, S$490m and S$370m respectively, based on their respective shares.

This translates, on a per share basis, to S$1.94 (ex bonus), 98ct and S$1.13 respectively for KSH, Lian Beng and Heeton. Oxley’s is about 46ct per share – the lowest.

Clearly KSH is the big winner among them, due primarily to its big % share (22.5%) and its low capital base (only 569m shares). However, do note that these figures will be spread over about 10 years.

Within Singapore, KSH’s stakes in Rio Casa and Serangoon Ville en bloc sites, and the Woodleigh JV with CES will contribute further to earnings and help it maintain a generous dividend payout for many years.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by sumer. Reason: correct figure

More
6 years 5 months ago #24107 by kayaroti
Replied by kayaroti on topic KSH
Thank you again Sumer.

I am vested in CES and Gaobeidian partners KSH, Lian Beng and Oxley.

I have avoided Heeton for a while but just vested in it recently as it is a laggard in the current run up and it has awaken from doldrums recently with volume and price inching up.

Cheers!
Kaya+Roti

More
5 years 8 months ago #24429 by Val
Replied by Val on topic KSH
KSH mildly affected by property cooling measure of 2018. Its construction orderbook is great and there should be growth as the en-bloc properties are rebuilt over the next 2-3 years.

The catalyst is still out of SG, in China. I hope company releases great updates about Gaobeidian project soon.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #24829 by Val
Replied by Val on topic KSH
Quite heavy selling yesterday causing share price to fall 4 cents to 39.5 cents.

, looks like some particular holder needs to exit.

The FY19 profit was down but I don't think tht's the reason for selling since it's mainly becos of new accounting standards whereby borrowing costs relating to development properties that are ready for launch should not be capitalised but have to be expensed when incurred,regardless of whether the launched units have been sold or unsold.

$8.9 million expensed off for Affinity@Serangoon and Riverfront Residences projects.

$5.2 million expensed off Park Colonial project.

That's heck of a lot of pain to take in FY19, but, on the flip side, FY20 (current FY) will enjoy relief.

Final Dividend 1.2 cents, unchanged, so full year is 2.2 Cents. Good yield of 5.6%.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Val.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds