Speaker of Singapore Parliament resigns over affair with....

• Hownow?
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #12441 by Hownow?
SINGAPORE: Mr Michael Palmer, Speaker of Singapore Parliament & MP for Punggol East SMC, resigns over "grave mistake" of improper conduct.
Deputy Speaker of Parliament Mr Charles Chong will serve as Acting Speaker.
At a press conference on Wednesday, Mr Michael said he had an improper relationship with a staff member of the People's Association.
The staff member, who was working in the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, has also resigned.
Mr Palmer said: "I have resigned to take full responsibility for a grave mistake that I have committed. I had a relationship with a member of the People's Association staff working in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC. While the individual did not work with me directly, Punggol East used to be part of the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC and continues to work with it. My conduct was improper and it was a serious error of judgement. I have resigned in order to avoid further embarrassment to the People's Action Party (PAP) and to Parliament."
Mr Palmer said he is also deeply sorry for letting down his residents, the PAP and everyone who has believed and supported him. "I apologise unreservedly to them and to my family. May I humbly request you be kind enough to respect my family's privacy during this very difficult time."
Deputy Prime Minister (DPM) Teo Chee Hean, who is PAP's 1st Assistant Secretary-General, said the party first came to know about the matter on 8 December. He said Mr Palmer had personally met him to inform him about the matter and of his intention to resign.
Mr Teo agreed that he should do so. "On behalf of the party and of myself, I will like to say to the residents of Punggol East, I am very sorry that we have let the residents of Punggol East down. I assure you that we would put things right and that we will continue to look after you."
Prime Minister (PM) Lee Hsien Loong was informed and he agreed that the resignation would be the proper thing to do.
Mr Teo said PM Lee met Mr Palmer on Sunday morning and confirmed the decision. Mr Lee directed that the matter be dealt decisively and in an open way.
DPM Teo said in the last two days, arrangements were being made to ensure that residents of Punggol East continue to be taken care of and the transition is done in proper and legal administrative and procedures. He also said he has worked with Mr Palmer for more than six years and that he is a hardworking and good MP, who is always caring for his residents and is a good team player.
Mr Teo , who was also at the press conference, said Minister of State and Mayor Teo Ser Luck will oversee the Punggol East constituency.
MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC Mr Zainal Sapari will be the new chairman of the town council.

Mr Teo said he too will take a personal interest in the welfare of residents of Punggol East. He added that the Prime Minister will nominate a new Speaker of Parliament when Parliament next meets.
On the possibility of a by-election, he said PM Lee will decide if there should be one and when it will take place.
Mr Michael Palmer took office as the 8th Speaker of the House in October 2011. At 44 years old, he was Singapore's 8th and youngest Speaker of Parliament. A lawyer by training, Mr Palmer is also a Partner at law firm Harry Elias. He is married with one child.
- CNA/ck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Burned
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #12447 by Burned

• Kaypoh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #12448 by Kaypoh
Where's the juice?

1. How did the matter become uncoverred?
2. Who squealed?
3. Did opposition have a hand in the events leading to Palmer's confession?
4. What actually was the improper relationship? Did it involve sex?
5. Was the lady planted by the opposition?
etc.

• Kaypoh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #12450 by Kaypoh

the PA said: "Ms Laura Ong, Constituency Director of Pasir Ris West Constituency Office tendered her resignation on 10 Dec 12, citing family commitments."

• MP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #12461 by MP
Resignation alone is not enough. Michael P should return all salaries, entitlements, benefits, reimbursements whether in cash or in kind received during his tenure as MP to the government, since he breached the trust of his constitutents. The breach is more serious given that he is a lawyer, partner with Harry E.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds